Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Fuck Flattering and Fuck the Rules

There are too many rules in fashion.  And when it comes to being a fat person, there are even more rules tacked on to the already long list.  There is a constant reminder that we must wear things that are flattering.  And we all know that flattering means to look thin.  There are all of these tips and tricks to make us feel like we are hiding out fatness (black is slimming!).  If you walk into most plus size shops, their are racks on racks of hideous clothing for fat women that is supposed to help us disappear into the wall so no one notices our body.  And you know what?

Fuck.  That.


It doesn't matter what color I wear.  It doesn't matter how I wear my hair.  It doesn't matter what the cut of my jeans are or how tight or lose the clothes I am wearing are.  I am fat.  And I will always look that way and that's okay.  We really need to stop making fat people feel like they have to wear certain things to hide (but not really) their fatness.  By being made to feel like I should hide my body is to be told that I am not good enough.  And that is nowhere near the truth.

So many of us have spent so much of our lives hiding in clothes that were too big and too boring so that we would go unnoticed.  We have spent too many shopping trips going through racks of clothes that hide our arms and legs and looking at too many clothes with dull colors and prints too keep us hidden. 

I hate that when I put on something that hugs my curves, I still think to myself, "I hope nobody notices my belly line," or "I hope this is appropriate."  When I think those things, it upsets me because I am so far into this whole body positive/fat positive movement and yet thoughts like that still pop-up.  I still have to remind myself that I am worthy of dressing how I want to dress because I spent so many years being shamed for my body.  

So when it comes to following the rules, don't do it.  As Admiral Ackbar would say, "IT'S A TRAP." If you are standing there looking in your closet trying to figure out what to wear and you keep skimming over that short skirt because you are afraid to show some leg, wear it.  If you want to wear the brown boots with black leggings, do it.  If you are afraid to buy the horizontal striped shirt because everyone says fat shouldn't wear horizontal stripes, buy it.  Wear bold prints, cut your hair short, wear crop tops, don't be afraid to show some VBO (visible belly outline), and don't be fooled by the "rules." Do what you want and wear what you love.  People who judge you for your choice of clothes aren't worth your time anyway.  



No comments:

Post a Comment